Monday, June 4, 2012

Easter 2012

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter.

After Race's baptism we had lunch and an Easter egg hunt down at our place. I'll post the pictures when I find them.



Anyway, I always love Easter Sunday. The primary children sang a beautiful Easter Song, which I led. In our small ward I am the first counselor in primary, a primary teacher, and the primary music leader. Yeah, Sundays are pretty busy. I love serving, I love teaching, but I have struggled being the music leader. I am not confident in my musical abilities. And I always felt there were plenty other ladies more qualified for the job than myself. I know, I know, we're not supposed to look at it like that, but hey...

Here's my big secret people:

I can't read music.

Never have.

So ask me, how come I was in Show Choir, Church Choir, choir, choir, choir growing up?

The answer:

I have no idea how I got through it, except I memorize by sound.

So now I sit at our piano and pluck out notes, and I get on the church website and memorize by sound. Being the music leader has taught me humility and gratitude. I guess teaching comes so natural to me that I never thought twice about how hard preparing to teach a lesson ever was.

Until I became the music leader.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve. I'm grateful for the opportunity to grow and gain a little more confidence in something that always scared me to death.

I'm grateful for my Savior and the love He shows me. For something so simple like helping me learn to teach music to the children. So they could stand in front of the congregation on Easter Sunday, and sing about Jesus Christ and the Resurrection. So the Spirit could touch hearts and testify of Him.

I'm so grateful.

No comments: