Thursday, July 14, 2011

4th of July

We love the 4th of July.  I think it is my favorite holiday.  Our little community is filled with retired, patriotic people.  I think that makes it even more special. 

We got up early to shoot rockets off with the Boyce Family.  It's kind of a tradition now.  Love it.



We love walking up the street to the parade.



We love our friends.






We love watermelon.



We love jello cake!

We love rain! It just so happen we got our first monsoon storm on the 4th.  It was awesome!



And of course, we love fireworks!

But most important, we love the United States of America.  Despite all the things I gripe about daily; I know this is a blessed and choice land.   

I love the talks in the car with my kids.  While driving a couple days before the 4th, a car commercial came on the radio, "We sell cars to the greatest nation on earth!!..."  I quickly turned the channel, because you know how annoying those car commercials are...so much shouting, and talking so fast you can't understand what they're saying.  

A couple minutes later Witt asks, "what's the greatest nation on earth?"  The thing about Witten is, he is ALWAYS listening, and he asks more questions than anyone I know.

So, I turned the radio off and said, "Well, the United States is."

"Why?"

Ok, how do I say this simple because there are SO MANY reasons, and so much history, and prophesy... "Because we are free Witt."  I waited for the next question that I knew would follow.

"What's free mean?"

"It means you can be whatever you want to  when you grow up if you work hard enough."

"Oh ya, like I can be a cowboy."

"Yes, you can be a cowboy."

The conversation went on.  It was beautiful.  I'm so grateful to live here, and raise my family here.  I'm so grateful that Witt can be a cowboy when he grows up if he chooses and Race can be a cartographer if he wants. 

Hope you all had a wonderful 4th!

No comments: