Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Juggling

My students from my first year of teaching graduated this May.

I can't believe it.

I went to a couple graduations and cheered super loud for my kiddo's.

Sara and I drove down to Queen Creek to see Kristie graduate and hang out with the Steele family for the evening.  Sara was Kristie's 4th grade teacher and I student taught under Sara that year. Then, the next year, Kristie was in my 5th grade class. My first year as a real teacher.

I was so blessed to have Sara as my Supervising Teacher when I student taught. I was pregnant with Race at the time, plus working full time at a therapeutic boarding school.  She stood by me when I had to run out of the class to puke (morning sickness), and taught me not only how to do all those great things you're supposed to learn when you student teach, but she also taught me through her example, how to love the kids more. How to love people more. She's got the biggest heart of anybody I know.

I'm so grateful to still have her in my life today. We love you Grandma Sara!!! You're one of my hero's, and I want to be just like you when I grow up.


We love you Kristie,
We love you Steele Family.
We miss you!
It was a sad day for the Verde Valley when you left.
The world would be a better place if there were more families like you!

My  first kiddo's.

I will never forget that first year teaching. It was one of the hardest years of my life, but so blessed at the same time. I was a new mom, with a new job. Juggling all the newness was overwhelming at times. I had so many people cheering me on as I worried and lost sleep over these kids. As I tried to move each one of them forward, individually with what they needed. With what they brought to the table. Like all teachers today, I had kids from good, solid homes. Then I had kids from broken homes, living in cars down by the river. I had kids who knew what respect and honesty were. Then there were those who didn't. There were the kids who had self-worth. And even some who had so much of it, there was a sense of entitlement about them. And then there were the kids who had none. They all had diverse strengths and weaknesses. Many had families where academics was a priority. Then there were those who didn't. And then there were those who just came to school to have something stable in their lives and something to eat for lunch.

Like all of us, they each had their individual trials. And their individual gifts. And something amazing to offer the world. I still hope they all do.

Every day was a juggling act. Each day was a stretch. And every day pushed me to be a better person.

Teaching is tricky, teaching is an art we strive to perfect. Child by child. Just like being a mother.

I love all my kiddo's, and I only hope I inspired them as much as they inspired me.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Wow! That's crazy, but so neat you went to her graduation. :) Bu, you actually just gave me a coronary! I thought "Crap have my first class graduated?" But I have a few more years cause I taught first grade. Soon enough, I'll have to truck on down to the south side and see my babies (hopefully they will all have made it that far) graduate.