Friday, October 15, 2010

Me being 30

Monday I turned 30.  It's actually kind of surreal.  I remember when my mother turned 30.  It seemed like I'd never be 30.  It's crazy to think that my 20's are gone.  Not that I'm sad...it's been great chapter in an exciting story.  I know my 30's will be so much more; more because of the blessings I've had while in my 20's.  I've been so blessed.

If you would have asked me when I was 20 what I imagined the next 10 years would be like, I would have had it all planned out,and it wouldn't have been settled down in Camp Verde AZ raising 3 boys.  It's funny where life takes you.  It's funny how dreams change as you get "older and wiser".  10 years ago, I would have told you I would be teaching collage English somewhere, coaching on the side, running 10k's and marathons twice a year and would have had my first book published (always the over-achiever).  Do I still want these things?  YES...but there are things I want more now.  There are things that make me happier now.  I love my boys; all 4 of them!  They are my biggest achievement as I am standing here being 30.  Things are not what I pictured they would be...they're better.   

Don't get me wrong, I still have my list of  "Things to do before I'm 40" for myself.  Stuff like getting my masters, writing and publishing my book, getting back in shape to run a few races twice a year...there's also the "added" items that apparently come as one gets older like taking better care to put sunscreen on outside, flossing more, taking better care of my feet...because I'm starting to notice that my body will get run down if I neglect it. 

There's also the "I wish I knew then" category.  You all know what I'm talking about.  Like:
  •  I wish I wasn't too cool to wear knee pads when I was playing volleyball as a teen because my knees hurt all the time now. 
  • I wish I didn't lay in a tanning bed to get ready for senior pictures and weddings and big trips.  I wish I didn't lay out and burn till I blistered because I just had a pre-cancer mole removed. 
  • I wish I would have taken better care of my teeth as a kid because root canal's just aren't any fun. 
  • I wish I knew when I was 16 that high school doesn't last forever and it is too short to stress out over and take too seriously. 
  • I wish I would have known that life is so much better after high school.
  • I wish I would have spent more time with my family; with my parents as a teenager.  I wish I would have realized how much they really did know. 
The list can go on and on right? 

I'm so grateful to be 30 and to have had my story travel through the chapters it has and the lessons I have learned so far.  Heavenly Father knows me better than I know myself; he knows what I need in my life.  I'm so grateful for his guidance in my life, his strength.  I'm so grateful for his hand that I am holding on so tight to.  Because being Mommy has been the hardest thing I could imagine, but at the same time, I've never been so happy and so blessed. 

Here's to 30 great years! 

And speaking of the great day, I got to sleep in!  Then I woke up to my 4 hansom boys making me breakfast.  They made me Aebleskivers (John introduced them to me when we first got married and I fell in love.  His grandfather's family is Danish, so danish pancake balls are a tradition in the family and now in ours.)



Witten and Race were so excited it was my birthday, they got me a hot glue gun!  It was all Witt's idea, because I'm always wishing I had one when stuff breaks.  Thanks boys!

My dear, wonderful, thoughtful, kind, amazing friend Andrea made me the yummiest cake ever and came over with her family to surprise me.  I must say, it was the best cake.  Thank you friend. 



Then, my sweetheart of 10 years (he asked me to marry him on my birthday 10 years ago!  I can't believe it!)  took me on a date.  I just love this man.  He spoiled me with my favorite restaurant (Zeke's in Prescott, if you've never been, they make the best patty-melt around), my favorite store (Hobby Lobby) and some goofy golf.  I can't believe it's been 10 years!


 It was a perfect day, what a blessed life!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I have more to write, but a baby is screaming in the background over here :) But I did want to say HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY Teddy. Love ya tons!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Teddy Betty! I'm glad you had such a good one!

Annell said...

Wait! You're 30?! Yikes! That means, I'm almost 32! Remember...Thirty, flirty and thriving!